International ILEM Summer School Begins as a Discussion Platform on the Concept of Social Justice in the Muslim World
3rd International ILEM Summer School will be held in Konya between 1-9 of August with the concept of “Social Justice and Poverty in Muslim World”. In the event, ILEM hosts the academicians and researchers over 20 different countries.
The notions of “social justice” and “poverty” will be discussed within the context of contemporary Muslim World, during the conferences, lectures and workshops. Particularly, the reflections of these notions and the institutions which are revealed around that concept will be considered on actual examples.
This year, under the concepts of “social justice” and “poverty”, the eco-politics of Muslim World will be criticized with regarding the experience of nation state concept, historical process, social and political results, unfair distribution of income and others by participants in a debate atmosphere.
3rd International ILEM Summer School welcomes the participants form Turkey, India, England, Bangladesh, Kashmir, Malesia, Iran, Pakistan, Indonesia, Canada, Russia, Cameroon, Somali, Egypt, Oman, Japan, Qatar and other countries.
The organization of 3rd International ILEM Summer School is held under the home ownership of Selçuk University, Necmettin Erbakan University, Selçuk Academic Thinking and Research Center and Civilization School by cooperation of ILEM, Ministry of The Republic of Turkey Presidency for Turks Abroad and Related Communities (YTB) and Konya Metropolitan Municipality.
- “Social Justice in the Muslim World Today”, Hamid Dabashi, Columbia University, Middle Eastern, South AsianandAfricanStudies
- “Growth, Distribution and Social Justice in Muslim Societies: A Critical Review”, Ozay Mehmet, Carleton University (EmeritusProfessor), International Affairs (Economics)
- “Law, Moral Economyand Development”, Adeel Malik, Oxford University, Department of International Development
- “Globalizatoin and Inequality”, Yunus Kaya, University of North Carolina Wilmington, Department of Sociology
- Redefining Social Justice in Muslim World: In this workshop, social justice as a phenomenon and its reflections throughout Muslim world will be discussed. The phenomenon will then be ‘redefined’ according to the status of contemporary Muslim world.
- Problems of Poverty in Muslim World: Poverty is a problem that grows in parallel with the issue of social justice. In this workshop, the relation between the two parties, different rates of poverty and the reality of poverty in Muslim world will be dealt with.
- Socio-Economic Inequalities and Stratification in Muslim World: With a certain and unbalanced economic growth in some Muslim countries, Stratification as a problem has begun to arise often. This workshop will host participants debating on contemporary socio-economic inequalities between people in Muslim world.